Friday, September 23, 2016

94 – Sail Away – Randy Newman - 1972





One of my favorite Randy Newman songs, where he sings from the persona of a guy trying to talk some Africans into coming to America, soft pedaling the whole slavery thing.

                …in America you get food to eat
                Don’t have to run through the jungle and scuff up your feet
                You just sing about Jesus and drink wine all day
                It’s great to be an American.

It reminds me of his appearance on the original Soundstage on PBS back in the mid-1070s. He introduced the song with a story about how it was written for a planned movie with different directors contributing parts to a whole, like Martin Scorsese, and some others he named, but it all fell through because the cocaine bill was too high (this was back when you could joke about drugs and not get labelled a druggie).

I wish I could be clearer on my recollection, but I can’t find the audio tape I have somewhere that I recorded from the FM simulcast that used to accompany “stereo” broadcasts before there were stereo TVs. The tape has Randy Newman on one side and Harry Chapin’s appearance on Soundstage on the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment